Thursday 21 February, 2008

Sign Language Class


I was going through some old photographs in my laptop and found this photograph. This photograph was taken at the end of our first sign language class. Ok let me start from the beginning.


Last year Human Rights Law Network (HRLN) the organization I work for, did something really different. We had a short course on sign language. As far as I remember we had about 4 to 6 classes on sign language.


It was taught by a hearing impaired person belonging to an organization called the Deaf Way. We were taught alphabets, numbers, basic words like father, mother, son, daughter, days of the week, some basic verbs like read, teach, cry, sad etc. But the most popular was the sign language way to clap or show appreciation. They raise their hands in the air and wave them. In office we have taken to this and it is real fun.


I was not at all interested initially but had to go. But once there, it was a lot of fun and we had a good laugh while learning some basic things. It was a humbling experience as well. The person who heads our disability rights initiative is visually handicapped so it was an experience watching the two communicate. Experiences like these makes me feel thankful for what i have!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey there, thanks for your comment, let me take a peek and I will soon post it. Cheers!