Thursday 5 November, 2009

I walked in the rain...

Yesterday I walked in the rain...
I walked and walked...
Just when people ran inside shops, hurried back home, stood under shades..
Side walks were filled with people waiting out the rain...
With hoods down, caps and hats on, snuggling a little closer inside their coats...
A couple of umbrellas were bobbing up and down ahead of me...
I walked along...hair flapping in the wind...the rain on my face...
People sitting inside cosy cafes, sipping hot drinks gave me curious looks...
But I loved the walking...
I changed directions, discarded the short cut and walked along a long winding street...
It was so refreshing to be out in the rain with the wind in my face...
To look up and see the dull grey sky....
Birds were huddled against roofs...feathers all ruffled...
The spires looked slippery and rusty...
The brownstone houses looked drenched...
Stone buildings looked unmoved...
Trees were swaying in the wind...
Nodding their heads in a secret rhyme...
A chruch bell tolled far away...
Flags, wet from the rain, looked half mast as if in mourning...
Little puddles of water were everywhere...
Faint wiff of cigarette drifted in...
I tried to find the warmth of my tropical rain in this chilly English afternoon...

The rain stopped...
Clouds cleared and as if by magic the sun came out...
Hoods fell back, caps and hats were removed...
Umbrellas were folded and carried in hand...
People poured into the streets from all corners...
Briskly they resumed their walking...
Streets filled up...shops got a little empty...
I looked ridiculous all wet in the sunshine...
Birds shrugged off the excess water and got back into the business of flying...
Trees looked relieved and sucked in the faint sunshine...
Brownstone houses dried up...
Stone buildings still looked impassive...
Puddles turned into mud...
Spires glittered catching the sunrays...
This sunshine is a weak cousin of my tropical sunshine...
But it is sunshine no less....
And it made me smile....

4 comments:

  1. Suchi...reading it, I felt I was walking by your side. I love your poetry. And I ache with you despite the fact that I have easy access to the tropical sunshine!! Hugs to you Babe...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Muthu....your comments sweep me of my feet completely and makes me want to write more :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Europeans are so work and money driven that they jsut dont understand the beauty of walking in a rain storm....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jell,

    Nah to be fair to the Europeans, I think anyone who is busy and has a job and home needing immediate attention, would not like to loiter in the rains. And I am playing the price for getting soaked in the rain...cold and fever...

    If I were in India, in the middle of a work day, I would not just go out in the street and get drenched...

    ReplyDelete

Hey there, thanks for your comment, let me take a peek and I will soon post it. Cheers!